Friday, July 27, 2012

'Jackie Joyner Kersee Superwoman'


Well folks, tonight is the Opening Ceremonies of the XXX Olympiad Games in London.
I will be watching them at Homewood's Olympic Training Site at Lakeshore Foundation with some of the USA top Paralympic athletes. My love for the Olympics begin as a child and over the years I have had the good future to meet and know so many Olympic heroes. A few include Alice Coachman, Willma Rudolph, Billy Mills, Bob Beamor, Charlies Barkley, Jennifer Chandler, Rowdy Gaines, Michael Johnson, Florance (FoJo) Griffin, Carl Lewis, but one of my favorites is Jackie Joyner Kersee.

Homewood Public Library Children's Department  has several biographies on Jackie Joyner Kersee, because she is one of my favorite Olympians and people. A product of title IX , she is a shining example of what young women, given a chance to compete in high school and college sports, can hope to achieve. She is also a shining example of an accomplished athlete who gives back to her sport.

Jackie Joyner Kersee Superwoman follows Jackie's athletic career from Lincoln High School in East St. Louis through 1994, a period in time when Jackie was breaking world records and ground for female athletes in Olympic sports. This book is co-authored by Margaret Goldstein and Jennifer Larson. Larson, a seven-time All-American in track and cross country from St. Olaf College, provides a unique insight into the hard work and determination required to be successful in a sport on the Olympic level. 

The London Games are here, and new stars will certainly emerge. I am excited and also feel so lucky I am now meeting some of my Paralympic heroes like Aimee Bruder and Aliison Milford. That said, Jackie Joyner Kersee will always be one of my favorites. She will also always be recognized as one of the top USA Olympians of all times. I hope you will read about her accomplishments and now let the games begin!

 


No comments: