Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Digital Photography Book 1: The step-by-step secrets for how to make your photos look like the pros’! by Scott Kelby

   
As a new owner of a Nikon D90, I’m very anxious to learn everything I can about photography and my new camera. I’ve messed around a little bit with photography and a lot with Photoshop and think I have a pretty good eye for composition. But, now comes the hard part, this camera has so many buttons and settings and I haven’t a clue for what many of them are used. The Digital Photography Book 1: The step-by-step secrets for how to make your photos look like the pros’! by Scott Kelby along with another book that I’m now reading, Nikon D90: Digital Field Guide, by J. Dennis Thomas (that’s another review), are bringing everything to life for me.

Scott Kelby is who I’d call an expert in the digital photography field and phenomenal Photoshop user. He has authored several books, and serves as Editor-in-Chief for a couple of magazines, is President of a professional association, and co-host of a TV video podcast. The way he lays out this book is different. It is not full of concepts, theory and technical jargon, but, it is a book of recipes, which I totally love! He tells you, if you want to get this particular shot, then you push that button or change this setting, which really starts you on the road to taking great photos, FAST. And the humor he injects is a pleasant surprise, although sometimes I think he might rattle on a tad too much when I’m really getting into what he’s saying and have to wait because he stops to tell a dumb story, especially at the beginning of the book.

So if you’re a beginner dSLR user/photographer like me and want to know which aperture to use for a portrait, why you would ever use a flash outdoors, the trick for shooting waterfalls, how to avoid the dreaded “blinkies”, and what shutter speed to use when shooting sports, then this is the book for you. I can’t wait to see what Scott has to say in Books 2 and 3.


You can find The Digital Photography Book 1: The step-by-step secrets for how to make your photos look like the pros’! by Scott Kelby at Amazon if you would like to purchase it. You can even purchase a boxed set of all three books.

No comments: